Human medications toxic to pets

Standard

Interview with Dr. Lara SypniewskiSypniewski Lara

Many medications that are helpful and safe for us can be very dangerous for our pets.

Dogs have a tendency to eat anything they find interesting and can easily be exposed to medication intended for their human friends. Some drugs are safe for one species, while causing life threatening conditions in others. Tylenol, or acetaminophen, is one such drug and should never be given to cats.

Human medications are sometimes flavored to make them more palatable, but this can lead to dogs helping themselves to the whole bottle. Due to their smaller size, even a single human dose of some medications can be problematic for dogs.

If you think your pet has been exposed to human medications, contact your veterinarian immediately with as much information about the drug consumed as possible. Your veterinarian can counsel you on what to do next, and may even direct you to induce vomiting immediately, depending on the situation.

Eliminating the drugs, preventing absorption, helping to remove the drugs from the body, and supportive care can help save your pet from accidental exposure to human medications. But just like with children, keep all medications safely stored away and out of the reach of your pets.