Rodenticide Toxicity

Standard

Interview with Dr. Lara SypniewskiSypniewski Lara

Rodenticides, or “rat bait,” can be very dangerous to our pets. These chemicals are designed to kill mice and rats by blocking their ability to form blood clots and causing uncontrolled bleeding.

Packaged in small plastic containers with tasty bait, rodenticides are appealing to many dogs and can lead to deadly exposure. Even if your pet only eats the rodent that has eaten the rat bait, dangerous bleeding can occur.

If you suspect your dog or cat has been exposed to a rodenticide, contact your veterinarian immediately. Quick action to help eliminate any undigested toxins and block their absorption can help save the pet’s life.

Of course a penny of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Keep these products where they belong, tucked away in tight, dark places where rats love to play and well away from our beloved pets.