Interview with Dr. Lara Sypniewski
Many foods that people routinely enjoy can be dangerous, and even deadly, if consumed by our pets. Dogs and cats share many physical attributes with their human friends, but they also have some real differences in the way their bodies handle various chemical compounds.
Grapes and raisins can cause serious kidney damage, yet the cause of the damage is not clear, nor is it understood why some dogs that have eaten grapes in the past without any apparent injury, will develop kidney failure the next time they eat grapes. Some severe cases of kidney failure have involved only a few grapes or raisins.
Macadamia nuts are another food that is toxic to dogs and can cause tremors and painful neurological weakness.
Onions and garlic are toxic to our pets and can affect their red blood cells, with signs of weakness and lethargy, and discolored urine developing several days after consumption. Dried and powdered garlic and onions, and products like onion soup, are very concentrated and can cause serious problems or illness.
Contact your veterinarian immediately if your animal consumes any of these human foods that are toxic to pets, as rapid treatment can save lives.